Make your own taco seasoning with this recipe and cut down the salt and other preservatives. This is a great task for kids. One recipe makes a double batch of the seasonings which can be stored in the cabinet for Beef and Bean Tacos another day. This is a great gluten free option to for company in the summer.
Taco Seasoning Mix – use 4 tsp for this recipe
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 can (14-19 oz) pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup passata or crushed tomatoes substitute 2 T tomato paste and 1/2 cup of water
- 1 head of romaine lettuce washed and chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (approximately 4 oz)
Other optional toppings: tortilla chips, avocado, tomatoes, salsa and sour cream
- In a large sauce pan sauté the beef over medium heat, breaking up with a spatula until no longer pink – approximately 5-7 minutes. Drain off fat in a colander with running water and set aside.
- While beef is cooking you can finely chop the onion. Then finely chop the peppers.
- In the same pan sauté the onions until they are soft, approximately 5 minutes. Add the chopped green and red peppers and cook another 3 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan along with 4 teaspoons of the taco seasoning mix, rinsed beans and 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
- Option: set up a make your own salad by adding lettuce to each plate, guests can top with chips, meat mixture, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream and sliced avocados.