Nicoise Salad originates in France and has a variety of ingredients including but not limited to lettuce, tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, eggs, tuna and olives. It is the perfect summer meal with options to please your whole family.
- 3 eggs
- 1 lb mini potatoes yellow flesh work well
- 1/2 lb green beans
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes
- 1/2 green pepper julienne
- 1/2 sweet bell pepper (red, orange or yellow) julienne
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 160 grams solid light tuna in olive oil Rio Mare or Star are excellent imported from Italy
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shallots minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place eggs in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and slowly boil for 5 minutes. Remove to an ice water bath. Once cooled, peel and chop for the salad.
- Prepare potatoes by washing and cutting in half or quarters depending on the size. Cut tomatoes in half, finely slice the peppers and finely chop the shallots.
- Place potatoes in a pot covered with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender approximately 10 minutes. Place in an ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Add green beans to a pot of boiling water and simmer for 4 minutes until tender crisp and a bright green colour. Place in an ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake.
- Serve on a large platter with all ingredients drizzled with dressing or let your family select their favourite ingredients and assemble individual salads.