Nicoise Salad originates in France and has a variety of ingredients including but not limited to lettuce, tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, eggs, tuna and olives. It is the perfect summer meal with options to please your whole family.
Nicoise salad can be served in parts so that family members get to put together a meal of their liking. If your kids are not big fans of tuna you could serve this as a side dish with steak, pork or chicken.
- 3 eggs
- 1 lb mini potatoes yellow flesh work well
- 1/2 lb green beans
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes
- 1/2 green pepper julienne
- 1/2 sweet bell pepper (red, orange or yellow) julienne
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 160 grams solid light tuna in olive oil Rio Mare or Star are excellent imported from Italy
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shallots minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place eggs in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and slowly boil for 5 minutes. Remove to an ice water bath. Once cooled, peel and chop for the salad.
- Prepare potatoes by washing and cutting in half or quarters depending on the size. Cut tomatoes in half, finely slice the peppers and finely chop the shallots.
- Place potatoes in a pot covered with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender approximately 10 minutes. Place in an ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Add green beans to a pot of boiling water and simmer for 4 minutes until tender crisp and a bright green colour. Place in an ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake.
- Serve on a large platter with all ingredients drizzled with dressing or let your family select their favourite ingredients and assemble individual salads.
A summer staple in our house — easy, quick, delicious and very little clean up. We get all the vegetables from our garden or the farmers market too which I really like.