Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burrito Bowls
The inspiration for this sweet potato and black bean burrito bowl comes from a recipe in the Oh She Glows Cookbook. The Avocado-Cilantro Cream Sauce is delicious but you can also chop avocado or use guacamole. Enjoy this vegan and gluten free option today!
- mini-food processor for the avocado cream sauce
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced in 1 cm cubes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 15 ounces can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 cups spinach roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp salt
Avocado-Cilantro Cream Sauce
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup prepared rice per serving
Additional cilantro and green onion for serving
- Prepare rice as per package instructions, approximately 1/4 cup per serving.
- Place diced sweet potatoes in a medium pot and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 5-7 minutes until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking you can prepare the avocado-cilantro cream sauce. In a food processor process cilantro until minced. Add avocado, lime juice, salt, garlic powder, and 3 tablespoons of water and process until creamy.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the oil and onions. Saute until the onions are translucent and then add the garlic, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and continue cooking for another minute.
- Add the pepper, cooked sweet potato, black beans, spinach and corn if using. Raise heat to medium high and cook for a few minutes more.
- Add broth, tomato paste, lime juice, spices and salt. Taste and add any additional seasonings as necessary.
- Bowls can be assembled starting with rice, sweet potato mixture and then topped with the avocado-cilantro cream sauce, chopped cilantro and green onions.