Beet and Goat Cheese Coulis Salad
Sweet pears, crunchy pecans, rich beets, creamy goat cheese and bitter arugula give this salad so much character. There are a few elements to prep but they can all be done ahead of time because the dressing (goat cheese coulis) goes on the bottom of the salad. Plate the salad and pop it in the refridgerator until dinner. Perfect for company.
- 3 medium sized beets
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- 1½ tsp water
- 1½ tsp brown sugar
- 70 grams goat cheese
- 3 tbsp cream
- 1 tsp champagne vinegar
- 5 oz package of arugula
- 2 pears
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Wash and trim the beets, put them in a thick foil package with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and bake in the toaster oven at 375 for 45-60 minutes depending on the size. You should be able to pierce them easily with a fork when they are finished roasting. Let the beets cool on the counter. Peel and chop the beets, set aside.
- In a medium sized frying pan toast the pecans over medium heat until fragrant. Stir occasionally and do now walk away too far or they will burn. Leave them in the pan to cool.
- To prepare the coulis use a mixer and cream together the goat cheese, 3 T cream, vinegar and a pinch of salt, until you get the consistency of icing. Add an additional tablespoon of cream if needed. Spoon the coulis onto your serving plate or into individual salad plates.
- To the frying pan add water and brown sugar and heat over medium stirring constantly until pecans are coated with the sugar. Remove from heat onto a plate to cool.
- On top of the coulis arrange arugula and beets and refridgerate until dinner.
- Just before serving thinly slice the pear, sprinkle with pecans, drizzle with a little olive oil and add a sprinkle of salt.