Stir-Fried Noodles with Chicken and Broccolini
This meal is best made just before dinner. Broccolini can sometimes be found at Costco or try Chinese Broccoli or subsutite with regular broccoli, either way it is all good for us.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 8 oz package of wide rice noodles (Taste of Thai are the best)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil divided
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 large eggs
- 14 oz broccolini or chinese broccoli cut into bite sized pieces with stalks cut on a bias approximately 6 cups
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar - packed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce like sambal oelek
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and place in a colander over a bowl. Once all the chicken is cut stir in 1 teaspoon of baking soda and let sit for 15 minutes. Next rinse chicken and let drain while you begin to cook. Skip this step if you are in a rush but the tender chicken which easily browns creates results that are well worth it.
- Follow instructions on the package of noodles or give this a try: Boil 6-8 cups of water in the kettle and pour into a large bowl. Add the noodles a bit at a time stirring to make sure they do not stick together. Let sit in the water for 8 minutes or until noodles are al dente, stirring occasionally. In another colander rinse noodles under cold water and drain. Mix in 2 teaspoons of canola oil to prevent noodles from sticking together.
- In a glass measuring cup combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, molasses, fish sauce and hot sauce if using and whisk with a fork.
- In a large frying pan or saute pan heat 2 teaspoons of oil. Add chicken and approximately 2 tablespoons of the sauce. Once the chicken begins to brown flip it over with tongs and add in your minced garlic. When all chicken is cooked through and browned on all sides about 8 minutes, set aside in a bowl or container.
- In a non-stick frying pan heat another 2 teaspoons of oil and scramble eggs, stir to break into small pieces. Remove and set aside with chicken.
- In your large pan add 1 tablespoon of oil, broccolini and another 2 tablespoons of sauce. Cover with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes until broccolini is tender.
- Add noodles, reserved chicken and egg and remaining sauce.
- Using tongs stir to coat noodles with sauce and heat thoroughly. Serve immediately.
- If you are making ahead of time stop at step 5 and just add broccolini to your pan for cooking just before dinner. Bring home chicken and egg and refrigerate until ready to prepare. Softened noodles can be put in a ziplock bag with oil and the sauce can be stored in a jar or small container.