Shrimp and Chorizo Sausage Paella
This meal is best made just before serving. If making gluten free just confirm there is no gluten in the sausage and chicken broth.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/4 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth divided
- 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb shrimp raw peeled and de-veined
- 1/2 lb green beans each bean cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- 1/2 lb cooked dry chorizo sausage cut into semi circles (3 small sausages)
- 1 lemon juice 1/2 and use the other half cut into wedges for garnish
- 1 red pepper julienne
- kosher salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add sausage and sauté until golden. It will seem like a lot of oil but it creates an almost cheese like taste when the paella is finished.
- Add garlic, rice, saffron, paprika and sauté 30 seconds - constantly stirring.
- Add 3 cups broth, diced tomatoes and a bay leaf - give it one stir and then let it boil and simmer for 10 minutes - no longer or your rice will be over done. Do not stir the rice just shake a little with the handle if you think it is sticking.
- Stir once and add shrimp, green beans and peppers to the top of paella and simmer another 7 minutes until liquid is evaporated. Cover if liquid evaporates too quickly or add reserved broth.
- Remove from heat and cover for 3 minutes. At this point you can transport your meal home. Shrimp should be fully pink before serving.
- Squeeze 1/2 lemon over paella, stir, remove bay leaf and taste. Add any seasoning if necessary - I usually add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Serve immediately with a wedge of lemon on the side.