Sweet Potato Lentil Curry
Lately I have been learning more and more about different dietary restrictions and it can be complicated having a group of friends over for dinner. I was excited to come across a recipe from Julie Van Rosendaal. This one main dish recipe should accommodate most dietary restrictions. Sweet Potato Lentil Curry is meat free, dairy free, gluten free and delicious.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 400 ml can coconut milk (light or regular)
- 1 cup water
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 4 cups baby spinach chopped if desired
Rice for Serving
- In a large frying pan over medium high heat add oil and then onions and sauté until soft approximately 5 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, curry powder, cumin, turmeric and salt. Stir and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add cinnamon stick, coconut milk, water, sweet potatoes and lentils.
- Cover and simmer on low for approximately 25 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- If making ahead of time add spinach - no need to stir. Refrigerate and reheat 10 minutes before dinner.
- Stir in spinach and cook for another minute until spinach wilts.
- Serve over rice.