Broccoli Cheddar Soup
My experience is that when you puree a soup kids love the flavours and texture. Anyone in your house can make this soup or at least help out. Try adding cauliflower with the broccoli to mix it up. Enjoy with a side of bread, crackers or homemade biscuits for lunch or as an appetizer for dinner.
- Hand Blender
- 2 tsp canola or avocado oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups chicken broth (more if needed)
- 1 large bunch of broccoli or a combination with cauliflower
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated medium or old provides great flavour
- On a cutting board prepare broccoli by chopping into 1 inch pieces. Make sure to use the stalk as well – just peel and discard the tough parts and finely chop. Set aside in a medium bowl.
- Dice onion and mince garlic reserving separately on your cutting board.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add onions and cook until tender and clear approximately 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cumin cook for another minute stirring constantly so garlic does not brown.
- Add broth and broccoli and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for approximately 15 minutes or until broccoli is soft enough to pierce easily with a fork.
- Puree soup with a hand blender until desired consistency. Add pepper and salt.
- Combine milk and flour with a whisk and add to the soup. (Use a mesh strainer just to make sure there are no flour lumps.)
- Cook 5 minutes until slightly thick stirring every minute or so – do not boil. If soup is too thick you can add more broth.
- Stir in grated cheese and continue to stir until melted. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper if needed.