Mexican Quesadillas become little triangle gems that are perfect for a quick meal before activities, on the run or packed in foil for lunch. Look for Eden Organic refried beans in the health food section - some other beans can be runny and make the quesadillas messy. Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream and chopped vegetables if desired.
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 can refried beans our favourite is Eden Organic found in the health food section
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers from a jar finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro optional
- 8-10 large whole wheat tortilla shells
- salsa and sour cream for serving
- Combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Divide mixture between the 8-10 tortilla shells, spread with a knife on half the shell and fold over.
- Coat a 12 inch frying pan with a tiny bit of oil (no oil needed if you are using a non-stick pan) and fry up 2 shells at a time over medium heat.
- Flip shells when slightly brown 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve with dipping sauces. Extra quesadillas can be cooked then frozen, wrapped in foil in a ziplock bag and reheated at a later time in a frying pan or in the toaster oven. Try them for school lunches heated and wrapped in foil.