Beef Stroganoff is a recipe handed down to me from my mom and I still love her to make it for me if we are visiting for dinner – especially for my birthday. It is best served on egg noodles, rice with a side of green veggies.
- 1 1/2 lbs stewing beef or a steak like top sirloin cut into bite sized strips
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium finely diced onion thinly sliced
- 8-12 ounces button or another favourite variety of mushrooms sliced or chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill finely chopped – more for garnish or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup 14% sour cream you can substitute light sour cream and you might want to increase the amount to 1 cup and be careful not to boil or it can separate
- Heat a large saute pan or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add butter and after it has melted add onions and saute for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms and onions are a golden colour. Onions and mushrooms will caramelize easier if stirred only minimally.
- While cooking onions and mushrooms prepare the beef in a ziplock bag or bowl with flour, salt and pepper.
- Remove onions and mushrooms to a dinner plate and reserve.
- Shake beef in a bag or toss with tongs until pieces are evenly coated with flour, salt and pepper.
- In the same pan add oil and heat, once the oil is hot remove beef from the bag with tongs, shaking off excess flour and cook beef turning with tongs until all sides are lightly browned. Add additional oil or work in two batches if needed so you don’t crowd the pan.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl combine beef broth, worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Pour over browned meat.
- Add reserved onions and mushrooms. Add dill and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for at least 90 minutes, I like to simmer for 2 hours brecause the meat becomes so tender. If you are working with a group then at this point you can transfer your dish home to simmer.
- Ten minutes before serving add sour cream and heat though. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve on brown rice or egg noodles.