Orzo Salad can be made in the morning or even the night before. Serve the salad for lunch or pair it with marinated flank steak or salmon. The salad is also a crowd pleaser and holds up well at a summer pot luck.
- 1/4 lb green beans washed and trimmed
- 1 1/4 cups dried orzo pasta
- 2/3 cup fresh dill coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic, champagne or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cucumber - diced approximately 1/2 english cucumber
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- optional: top with feta or goat cheese
- Cook green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for 4 minutes.
- Prepare an ice water bath for your beans.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove beans and place in your ice water bath to stop cooking. Transfer to a cutting board to dry.
- Add orzo to the same boiling water. Cook until tender as per instructions on package and using a colander rinse in cold water to stop cooking. Toss in a large salad bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a blender or mini food processor combine dill, 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, zest and lemon juice, salt and pepper in a mini processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Cut beans in 2 cm pieces and add to a large bowl or container. To the large bowl of orzo add cucumber, beans and mix in dressing. Salad can be served cold or at room temperature.
- Optional: top with feta or goat cheese