Chicken Fried Rice
This recipe is much healthier than a take-out option. Pack it with vegetables you happen to have in your fridge of freezer. Any protein will work – leftover chicken, pork, steak, shrimp and for a vegetarian option omit the egg and include tofu. Here I have suggested some ingredient options but this recipe is very flexible. You can even stir fry leftover quinoa in place of the rice.With a little planning ahead, at the end of the week you can enjoy this easy recipe for dinner. The key to good fried rice is to make the rice a day ahead of time so it is cooked and cold before frying.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 large carrot
- 1 red pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 4 green onions
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups cooked rice cold from the day before (quinoa if you prefer)
- 2 cups cooked chicken or beef diced
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce or gluten free Tamari
- Finely dice broccoli, carrots and peppers.
- Slice green onions and divide white and green parts.
- Heat a large frying pan, brasier or wok over medium high heat. Add 2 tsp of oil and fry up your eggs, stirring to scramble and break into small pieces. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add an additional 2 teaspoons of oil and stir fry the broccoli, carrots, peppers and white parts of the green onions for 5 minutes.
- To the pan add edamame, corn, ginger and garlic and stir fry stirring constantly for another minute.
- Add the final 2 teaspoons of oil along with the rice, meat, eggs and green onions. Heat though and then stir in your soy sauce and serve.
- If making ahead you can pour in the soy sauce and then reheat at home or add the soy sauce after reheating.