Beef and Bean Tacos
Make your own taco seasoning with this recipe and cut down on salt and other preservatives. Kids love this part. One recipe makes a double batch of the seasoning so you have some for another day or double it to keep extra in the cabinet.
Taco Seasoning Mix (makes enough for 2 recipes of Tacos):
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 jar of passata (approx. 700 ml)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpking pie filling)
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- Taco shells soft or hard
- 4.5 oz shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- romaine lettuce finely chopped
Taco Seasoning Mix
- Combine in a small bowl – use 4 teaspoons for Taco recipe and save the remaining 4 teaspoons for another time.
- In a large non-stick pan sauté beef over medium heat, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink – about 5 minutes. Drain off fat in a colander with running water and return to the pan.
- Add pureed tomatoes, 4 teaspoons of taco seasoning mix (from recipe above), pumpkin, black beans and simmer until thick – approximately 20 minutes.
- Meat mixture can be transported home and put in the refrigerator until dinner time. You should reheat meat first before filling shells.
- Add warm meat mixture to the taco shells and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 10 minutes.
- Then add your desired toppings and enjoy!! Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa, diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro and avocado or guacamole.