Black Bean Quesadillas with Avocado Lime Sauce
Black Bean Quesadillas is an easy recipe for kids to make. You can prepare ahead of time and cook just before dinner or cook up the quesadillas and then warm them in the oven just before eating. Double the recipe if you want extra sauce for another time.
Black Bean Filling
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cans black beans (14-16 ounces) (each can 14-16 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup tomato passata or crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
Avocado Lime Sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup washed fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 jalapeño seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil – light tasting preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- canola or other vegetable oil for frying
- 12 6 inch corn or flour torillas
- 1 cup grated mexican cheese blend or monterey jack cheese
- In a non-stick skillet heat olive oil, garlic, taco seasoning and onion powder for 2 minutes over medium heat stirring constantly.
- Add black beans, tomato passata and salt. Continue to cook bean mixture until most of the liquid has evaporated about 8-10 minutes. With the back of your spoon or spatula mash some of the beans. Turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- On one half of a tortilla spread approximately 1/4 cup of the bean mixture and a sprinkle of grated cheese. Fold in half and press down to flatten.
- Heat a small amount of vegetable oil over medium heat in your clean frying pan and cook tortillas for approximately 3 minutes per side until lightly browned. Continue to cook remaining quesadillas adding additional oil as needed.
- To prepare avocado lime sauce add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Serve along side with a red salsa if desired. Enjoy!!