Baked Spring Rolls
These Baked Spring Rolls are made with pork and a mixture of vegetables and can be served along side an easy fried rice or salad. One recipe will make approximately 35 spring rolls so you can have some with dinner and then some in the freezer for another time. It is fastest to use a food processor but you could also chop the garlic, onion, jicama and grate the carrot. This recipe is compliments of Nerlyn, she often gets together with friends to make hundred’s of these for the freezer.
- 300 grams lean ground pork
- 8 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 large onion
- 5 medium carrots
- 1 medium jicama
- 50 TYJ spring rolls pastry
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 5 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a food processor pulse garlic cloves until minced, remove and set aside in a small bowl.
- Next peel and quarter the onion and process onion until finely chopped. Remove and set aside.
- Peel and slice carrots into 3 cm pieces and process in the food processor until finely chopped. Remove and set aside.
- Peel and roughly chop the jicama and process in the food processor until finely chopped.
- Add 2 teaspoons canola oil in a 12 inch frying pan heated over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook on medium low stirring often for approximately 8 minutes until soft but not brown. Add garlic and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add pork breaking up into small pieces with a spatula and continue to cook until pork is no longer pink, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook for approximately 3 minutes. Stir in the jicama, oyster sauce and pepper. Remove from heat to cool a bit before rolling.
- Fill a small bowl with water. Cover the spring rolls wrappers with a damp paper towel while rolling so they don’t dry out.
- Lay one spring roll wrapper on a clean work surface with the point facing up and place 2 tablespoons of filling on the top 1/3 of the wrapper. Fold the 2 side points into touch each other and dab with a bit of water to hold together. Then starting from the top roll the wrapper around the filling. Dab the bottom corner with water and roll up to seal.
- Repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers. One batch should make 35-40 spring rolls.
- Freeze rolls on a cookie sheet and then transfer to a container until ready to bake.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with canola oil and add the spring rolls brushing or spraying the tops with oil.
- Bake from frozen at 400 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes turning once. Spring rolls should be crisp and golden.