Fish Tacos with Slaw and White Sauce
A smoky mix of spices on the fish is paired with a zippy white sauce and the crunch of a cabbage slaw. Serve along side a Black Bean and Mango Salad.
- 700-800 grams Fish Fillet red snapper, tilapia, bass or cod work well
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups shredded cabbage see sticky tips
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plain or greek yogurt 2% or higher
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 grated zest of one lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice 1-2 limes
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 lime for garnish
- 2 packages small soft taco shells
- Mix together fish spices in a small bowl. Transfer fish to a large bowl and rub spice mixture on both sides. Refrigerate covered for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Finely chop cabbage and mix together in a medium bowl with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 cup torn fresh cilantro. Set aside until dinner.
- In a medium bowl or container combine yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, finely diced jalapeño pepper and spices for your white sauce. Refrigerate until dinner.
- Just before dinner heat and lightly oil a grill pan or your barbeque. Grill the fish skin side up for 3-5 minutes and carefully flip and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Fish should flake slightly when pressed in the centre. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with lime wedges.
- Warm tortilla shells in the microwave for a minute before serving.
- With a fork you can add bite sized pieces of fish to your taco shells and top with cabbage and white sauce. Serve the Black Bean Salad as a side dish.