Braised Chicken and Bok Choy
The sauciness of this dish makes it great served with rice and a crisp salad like the Apple, Celery Salad.
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium red onion cut in small slices
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger (2 inch piece)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds toasted in a small frying pan until lightly golden
- 1.5 lbs baby bok choy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl whisk together broth, sherry, oyster sauce, honey, ginger, garlic and salt; and set aside.
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat and add sesame oil.
- Add chicken breasts and sear approximately 2 minutes on each side until the chicken has browned and releases easily from the pan.
- Add onion and stir fry for another 4 minutes until soft.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add your sauce ingredients. Use a spatula to scrape up any brown bits.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. While the chicken cooks prepare the bok choy see sticky tip below.
- Remove chicken from the oven. (Remember your pot is hot) Shred chicken on a cutting board with 2 forks and return to pan. If making ahead of time put half the bok choy on top of the chicken and refrigerate until 15 minutes before dinner.
- Place dutch oven over medium-low heat stirring in half the bok choy. As it cooks down add the remaining bok choy. Cover and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.