Black Kale and White Bean Soup
My dear friend Kristyn created this recipe for her soup catering business. It is full of flavour from your favourite dried chorizo sausage, rosemary and kale. You only need an hour to prepare and clean up. If made ahead of time the flavours will blend together well.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (or less)
- 250 grams Spanish style dried chorizo sausage (3 small sausages)
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced or finely chopped
- 28 oz can of navy beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cartons (946 ml) chicken stock (approximately 2 litres)
- 250 ml white wine
- 1 piece parmesan rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch black kale also called lacinato
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly grated parmesan for serving optional
- On your cutting board prepare red onion, garlic, rosemary and slice chorizo sausage into thin semi circles.
- Heat your pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Barely cover the bottom of your pot with olive oil. Once oil has heated add your sausage and sauté for 3 minutes, add onions and continue cooking another 5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add beans, broth, wine, rind, rosemary and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While soup is simmering prepare kale by removing tough stems and spines finely chopping leaves and rinsing in cold water.
- If making ahead of time add kale and remove from heat. Just before dinner simmer soup for 15 minutes until kale is tender.
- Remove and discard the parmesan rind. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as and top with parmesan if desired