Black Bean Quesadillas are perfect for your meatless Monday dinner served with a twist on Guacamole with an Avocado Lime Sauce. Add some fresh salsa on the side as well. Thanks to Foodlove.com for the original recipe. If you would like to make a mix of your own taco seasoning you can click here for a recipe.
Black Bean Filling
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2cans black beans (14-16 ounces)(each can 14-16 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 2/3cup tomato passata or crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/2teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4cup fresh cilantrofinely chopped
Avocado Lime Sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2cup washed fresh cilantro
- 2tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 jalapeñoseeded and finely chopped
- 3tablespoons olive oil - light tasting preferred
- 1/2teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/4teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1tablespoon water
- canola or other vegetable oil for frying
- 126 inch corn or flour torillas
- 1cup grate mexican cheese blend or monterey jack cheese
- In a non-stick skillet heat olive oil, garlic, taco seasoning and onion powder for 2 minutes over medium heat stirring constantly.
- Add black beans, tomato passata and salt. Continue to cook bean mixture until most of the liquid has evaporated about 8-10 minutes. With the back of your spoon or spatula mash some of the beans. Turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- On one half of a tortilla spread approximately 1/4 cup of the bean mixture and a sprinkle of grated cheese. Fold in half and press down to flatten.
- Heat a small amount of vegetable oil over medium heat in your clean frying pan and cook tortillas for approximately 3 minutes per side until lightly browned. Continue to cook remaining quesadillas adding additional oil as needed.
- To prepare avocado lime sauce add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Serve along side with a red salsa if desired. Enjoy!!