This is a great recipe for mini-chefs to make. You will need 2-3 tacos for each person. I like to have a mixture of both hard or soft shells.
Beef and Bean Tacos Make your own taco seasoning with this recipe and cut down on salt and other preservatives. Kids love this part. One recipe makes a double batch of the seasoning so you have some for another day or double it to keep extra in the cabinet.
Taco Seasoning Mix (makes enough for 2 recipes of Tacos):
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2teaspoon oregano
- 1teaspoon paprika
- 11/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4teaspoon pepper
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1jar of passata(approx. 700 ml)
- 1cup canned pumpkin puree(not pumpking pie filling)
- 1can black beansrinsed and drained
- Taco shellssoft or hard
- 4.5oz shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- romaine lettucefinely chopped
Taco Seasoning Mix
- Combine in a small bowl - use 4 teaspoons for Taco recipe and save the remaining 4 teaspoons for another time.
- In a large non-stick pan sauté beef over medium heat, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink – about 5 minutes. Drain off fat in a colander with running water and return to the pan.
- Add pureed tomatoes, 4 teaspoons of taco seasoning mix (from recipe above), pumpkin, black beans and simmer until thick - approximately 20 minutes.
- Meat mixture can be transported home and put in the refrigerator until dinner time. You should reheat meat first before filling shells.
- Add warm meat mixture to the taco shells and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 10 minutes.
- Then add your desired toppings and enjoy!! Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa, diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro and avocado or guacamole.