Vegetable Chickpea Stew
Enjoy this meal full of vegetables and aromatic spices. This stew is a meat, gluten and dairy free meal (without topping) that can be made with any vegetables you have on hand. Serve on top of your favourite rice or quinoa.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small head of cauliflower cut into small florets
- 2 sweet bell peppers diced
- 1 zucchini halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper or (¼ crushed chili flakes) seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 28 oz can of pureed tomatoes
- 14-19 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cans chickpeas (14-19 oz each) rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup plain yogurt or sour cream optional topping
- In a small bowl combine all spices.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat. Add chopped onions and cauliflower. Cook stirring often until lightly brown – 8-10 min. Transfer to a bowl or plate.
- In the same skillet add the additional 1 tbsp of oil and sauté the peppers, zucchini and ginger for 2 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with cauliflower.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in spices, then add cans of tomatoes, chickpeas and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Taste and add 1 tsp or salt to taste.
- Return vegetables to the skillet and cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro. Cover until ready to eat.
- Serve on top of rice or quinoa and top with a dollop of yogurt of sour cream.