Quinoa is that super grain with lots of protein that keeps well in the refrigerator. When I make this salad I usually double the recipe so that after we enjoy it with dinner then I can have it for lunch during the week. In the summer this salad goes well along along side one of your barbeque favourites.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup broth or water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili sauce like sambal oelek
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup broccoli finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 green onion
- 1 sweet bell pepper
- 1/2 cup blanched slivered or sliced almonds
- Combine broth (or water) and quinoa in a small pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes and then let sit for 5 minutes and fluff with a fork. If you are cooking in a group cook all quinoa in a larger pot.
- While quinoa is cooking you can prepare the vegetables. Peel and grate the carrot, finely chop the broccoli, dice the pepper and thinly slice the green onions using kitchen shears.
- Toast the almonds and set aside until ready to serve. These could go home in a small container or ziplock bag. All other ingredients can be combined in a bowl and served at room temperature or refrigerated until dinner.