Tomato Short Ribs Tagliatelle
When you are working from home why not try something that simmers all afternoon on the stove. Delight your senses with this rich tomato sauce flavoured with the short rib bones and the tender beef. This recipe has been adapted from Cooking Light Magazine.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 24 oz bone in short ribs (4-6 ribs)
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cups onion finely chopped
- ¾ cup carrots finely chopped
- ½ cup celery stock finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 28 oz can of crush tomatoes
- 1 lb Tagliatelle or Fettuccine
fresh parsley and parmesan for serving
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add oil. Sprinkle Ribs with ¼ salt and ¼ pepper and add to the pan. Brown on all sides approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Place ribs on a plate and add the onion, carrot and celery to the pan. Cook 5 minutes and then add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add 2 cups of water, basil, oregano and tomatoes to the pot, stir and add the ribs. Cover and simmer for 4-5 hours. Stir occationally and keep on your lowest simmer setting. When beef is very tender remove meat and bones to a cutting board.
- Shred beef and add back to the simmering sauce. Discard bones and fat. Taste and add additional salt (½ tsp) and pepper as desired.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain and combine with sauce.
- Top with fresh parsley and parmesan and serve.