Add the Pork Roast to your Slow Cooker in the morning and you will have a wonderful aroma to come home to in the afternoon. It is quick to pull together – even before school/work if you are organized the night before. Try the pulled pork with a coleslaw salad on the side or in your sandwich.Try this pulled pork recipe in mini slider buns or as a quesadilla with monterey jack cheese. We love making quesadillas for lunch with the leftovers. Serve along side a salad with apples for the perfect pairing.
- 2 lb pork shoulder or rib roast
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large onion
- 1 bottle dark beer like Rickard’s Dark or Rickard’s Red
- 1 cup favourite bbq sauce
- slider buns or other rolls
- coleslaw or other salad
- Prepare carrots by scrubbing off any dirt or peeling and roughly chopping.
- Prepare celery by washing and roughly chopping – extra leaves can be added.
- Remove outer skins and chop the onion in half and then into quarters.
- Place all vegetables in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Remove pork from the package and leave on any strings. Using tongs place roast on a plate and rotate to sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat large dutch oven or other heavy duty pot on the stove on medium high heat. Wait a minute or 2 and add enough canola oil to lightly line the bottom of the pot.
- Add pork and brown on all sides – including the ends. Pork should release to rotate when it is brown. Use oven mitts and tongs as the oil will splatter.
- Place browned roast on top of vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Reduce heat on your stove to low. Slowly pour in half the beer and scrape up any brown bits.
- Pour the contents of your dutch oven into the slow cooker along with the remaining beer.
- Cover and cook on auto shift (which is high then low for a total of 8 to 10 hours on most slow cookers). If you are home rotate the roast half way through the cooking time.
- At least 30 minutes before dinner time remove the roast from the slow cooker onto a cutting board. Turn off slow cooker.
- Place a strainer over a medium sized bowl and using oven mitts pour the remaining contents into the strainer. Reserve 1 cup of the liquid and add back into the slow cooker. Vegetables and remaining broth can be discarded.
- Remove any string from roast and discard. Using a knife and a couple of forks shred the meat until the roast is pulled apart. Discard any fat or bones and put meat back into the slow cooker.
- Mix meat together with broth and 1 cup of BBQ sauce. Turn slow cooker to warm until ready to serve.