Most of these ingredients you can find in a well stocked pantry. Try with these beans or a mixture of your favourite. Change it up by letting your kids add their own toppings like: grated cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, avocado or sour cream.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 jar passata (strained tomatoes)
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can white beans rinsed and drained
- 500 grams package lean ground beef optional
- kosher salt to taste (the amount you need will depend on salt included in beans and tomatoes)
Serve with optional toppings: Grated Cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, avocado, sour cream, etc...
- If using ground beef, brown in a large frying pan. When beef is cooked through and no longer pink drain in a sink in a colander and reserve.
- Heat your sauce pan on medium, add oil and then onions. Stir constantly and cook until soft about 8 minutes. Then add in garlic and cook another 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Measure out water, sugar, chili powder and worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients including reserved beef to your dutch oven and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until ready to serve or refrigerate for a cook ahead option.
- Add additional water if chili is too thick and add salt and/or additional chill powder to taste.
- Add your toppings!