As long as I put pasta in the soup my kids don't complain about the kale. Use the flexibility of this soup to rejuvenate some leftover veggies in the fridge.
- 1 cup dry pasta small shapped noodles
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 potato peeled and diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup cut green beans (or try zucchini)
- 2 cans beans drained and rinsed we like navy beans, cannellini, chickpeas and pintos
- 2 cups passata or a small can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
Serve with grated parmesan and/or fresh bread
- In a small pot of salted water prepare your pasta al dente, rinse with cold water and drain. Many people just cook pasta in the soup which is fine but if you have the time cook it separately and add it fresh to the soup without the additional starch.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add diced onion and saute a few minutes.
- Now add garlic for a minute then the broth, carrots, potato, oregano, bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 3 minutes.
- Next add kale, green beans, canned beans and continue to simmer for 5 minutes until all vegetables are tender. Add passata or diced tomatoes, salt and pepper. Taste and season more if needed.
- Stir in pasta just before serving or scoop into bowls and pour soup over top.
- Add grated parmesan cheese if desired.