Chicken Farro Salad
This is my go to lunch salad. The farro adds a chewy and filling fibre to the salad and the chicken will give you the protein to keep you full for the afternoon. Bitter greens mixed with a sweet fruit, smooth cheese and a nutty crunch give the salad a variety of flavours and textures. The recipe is very flexible depending on what is in season, in your pantry or fridge. My Favourites are: Pomegranate and Pumpkin Seeds, Apples and Almonds, Cashews and Oranges, Blueberries and Pecans, Sunflower Seeds and Craisins – the list goes on…
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar
- ½ tsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup farro
- 8 cups bitter salad greens or a mix with arugula
- 2 leftover cooked chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup sweet fruit – pomegranates or try chopped apple, orange pieces, blueberries, craisins or chopped dates
- ¼ cup manchego cheese diced
- ¼ cup toasted, chopped or slivered almonds or try roasted salted pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews or pecans
- Prepare farro as per instructions on the package or try cooking it like pasta in a pot of boiling salted water. Drain and rinse when the grain reaches a tender chewy texure about 30 minutes. Cool.
- In a small glass jar shake all dressing ingredients until the dressing is emulsified and has a creamy texture.
- In a salad bowl combine greens, chicken, cooled farro and toss with dressing.
- Plate salad in 4 dishes and top with all remaining ingredients.