Coconut Curry Noodles
You will want to lick your bowl clean after this meal. The sauce is devine and as a result you can add almost any set of vegetables you like to this dish. The recipe of Coconut Curry Noodles has been adapted from a Pinch of Yum.You can easily make this recipe gluten free by replacing the soy sauce with tamari. For a vegetarian option leave out the chicken, replace the fish sauce with soy sauce and the chicken broth with vegetable broth. Pretty much any vegetables will work so try to use up what you have on hand.
Coconut Curry Sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut, avocado or canola oil
- 2 shallots
- 4 green onions white and green part separated
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 14 oz can of regular coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth Add additional broth at the end if needed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce like sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1-2 cooked chicken breasts
- 1 225 gram package vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 small head of broccoli approximately 1 cup chopped
- 8 medium stalks of asparagus approximately 1 cup chopped
- 2-3 cups cabbage and carrots shredded a mix with broccoli and kale was excellent or you can prepare your own selection, red peppers and snow peas also work
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 cup basil leaves about one handful
- Optional: lime wedges for serving
- Prepare noodles as per instructions on the package. Soak noodles in boiling water in a large bowl until they are al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Chop shallots very small, peel and grate the ginger. Chop the white parts of the green onions and set aside the green parts for a garnish.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium, add oil and then shallots and white parts of green onions. Stir fry for 3 minutes then add the ginger, curry paste and stir for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk, broth, sugar, chili sauce, fish sauce and soy sauce. Turn to low and simmer for 15 minutes while you prepare other ingredients.
- Thinly slice chicken and chop into small pieces. Chop the broccoli and asparagus into small pieces and steam for 4 minutes until they are bright green.
- Slice green part of the green onions. Thinly slice or tear basil up and set aside as a garnish.
- Just before dinner add noodles, chicken, steamed vegetables, shredded mix, and lime juice to the sauce, heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add additional broth if needed. Sprinkle or stir in green onions and basil. Add a wedge of lime to the side of each dish if desired. Enjoy!
Alison and I made this dish together and I wasn’t sure my kids would like it, but it was a HUGE hit. They loved it! And have asked me to make it again and again. The… Read more »