Lemon Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
This homemade teriyaki sauce is a winner in our house. The bowls can easily be made to serve extra guests or for leftovers. Prepare with 4 chicken breasts, make extra rice and lots of vegetables. Many kids will like fixing their own bowls.
- Large ovenproof skillet with a lid.
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn starch
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
Rice and Vegetables:
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 carrots
- 1 head of broccoli or broccolini
- selection of peppers, snow peas whatever your family likes
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Prepare rice as per instructions.
- In a small sauce pan combine sauce ingredients with a whisk. Cook sauce over medium heat until it thickens. Set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Pan fry chicken for approximately 4 min, until golden brown and flip. With a spoon pour a thin layer of the sauce over chicken (2 T). Cover skillet with the lid and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking wash and chop vegetables.
- Place chicken breasts on a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes.
- To the same skillet stir fry your vegetables. (I like to steam carrots and broccoli a bit first as they take longer to cook.)
- Slice chicken and prepare bowls adding rice, chicken and vegetables. Drizzle with desired amount of sauce and serve.