Double Chocolate Brownies
You can easily double this recipe and then divide into 2 pans if you are cooking with a friend or freeze one of the pans for a quick dessert. I tried many times to make this recipe as 2 bite brownies in mini muffin pans but the result was frustrating. Buttered the pan = stuck, sprayed = stuck, buttered and cocoa powder = stuck. The only thing that worked was spraying the pan first then adding tiny circles of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan. Unless you need a make-work project for your child I would say not worth it, though you do end up with 24 brownies perfect to pack in lunches. Be sure to only bake at 325 for 10-11 minutes for the minis. The basis for this recipe is thanks to Martha Stewart.
- Parchment Paper & 8 inch square pan
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter or salted just leave out salt below
- 6 ounces chocolate chunks or chips (slightly less than 1 cup) bittersweet, semi-sweet or milk chocolate
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 14 tbsp sugar Just under 1 cup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper leaving a 2 inch overhang on 2 of the sides. Coat with baking spray and set aside.
- In a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water melt butter, chocolate and cocoa powder stirring together until smooth. Remove the bowl from the pot and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl with your hand mixer or your stand up mixer with the whisk attachment beat the eggs and sugar until thick and a pale colour – approximately 4 minutes.
- Add your chocolate mixture and vanilla and mix in completely scraping down the bowl as needed. Add the flour and mix on low just until combined. Give the batter a stir with a spatula and then pour into your prepared pan. The batter will be thick so use an off set spreading knife to spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. You can test by inserting a toothpick and it should come out clean. Do not over bake or the brownies will become dry.
- Cool brownies in the pan for 10 minutes and then carefully using the parchement paper lift onto a cutting board and cut into pieces.