Chicken Burrito Bowl
This Chicken Burrito Bowl has become a favourite for packed lunches in our house and is also an easy dinner especially on the nights we are home at different times. I leave the rice in the rice cooker on warm, other bowls and toppings are kept in the fridge and everyone loves making their own combination.
Chicken & Marinade
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice approximately 2 limes
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups rice white or brown
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn drained
- shredded Mexican cheese blend
- sour cream
- chopped lettuce
- thinly sliced avocado
Pico de Gallo Salsa
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes approximately 3 large
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated zest of one lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice 1 lime
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- In a medium bowl or large ziplock bag add all marinade ingredients – oil, lime juice, garlic, salt and spices. Add chicken and marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. (If chicken is thick you can use a meat tenderizer to create even thickness 2 cm).
- While Chicken is marinating you can prepare your rice in the rice cooker or on the stove. Prep beans and corn. I like to mix a little seasoning (1/2 teaspoon chili powder, possibly salt) and lime juice to the black beans.
- Preheat Grill to high heat. Clean the grates. Reduce heat to low and place the chicken on the grill for 7-10 per side until cooked through and internal temperature reads 170 degrees.
- While the chicken is grilling you can prepare the other toppings and in a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the pico de gallo.
- Let your family create their own bowls starting with rice, beans, corn and finishing with pico de gallo, lettuce, sour cream, avocado, chicken and cheese.