Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma
This oven roasted chicken shawarma is an easy meal your family will love. This recipe has been adapted Jenn Segal's new cookbook Weeknight Weekend, Once Upon a Chef.
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1½ tsp salt divided
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ¾ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 lbs skinless chicken breasts and or thighs
- 1 small sweet onion thinly sliced
Tangy Yogurt Sauce
- ¾ cup 2% or higher plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 naan or pita breads
- 1 small head romaine lettuce washed and chopped
- 1 cucumber halved and sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F on convection (or 425°F regular bake)
- Line a large baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl whisk together 3 tablespoons of oil, 1 ¼ tsp salt, the cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon and garlic.
- Trim chicken thighs with kitchen shears and chop chicken into medium sized or bite sized pieces. Stir into the spices. Arrange chicken in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- In the same bowl (no need to rinse) add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, ¼ salt and the sliced onions. Stir to combine and spread out on top of and around the chicken.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stir and bake for another 5-10 min until the chicken is cooked through and onions are beginning to caramelize.
- While the chicken cooks, make the sauce. In a small bowl whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Taste and season if necessary.
- When the chicken is almost done pop the flatbread onto another rack in the oven for a couple of minutes.
- Slice the chicken if needed and stir together in a bowl with the onions and juices. Serve with warmed flatbread, sauce and chopped veggies.