Black Bean and Mango Salad
This colourful salad pairs perfectly with different grilled chicken, pork, shrimp or fish and can be made ahead of time to bring out the nutty, sweet and spicy flavours. Leftovers can be served as a salsa with tortilla chips then next day.
- 2 cups or 1 14-15 oz can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 fresh mangos
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 1 sweet bell pepper (red, orange or yellow)
- 2 green onions
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 zest of a lime
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Rinse and drain black beans.
- Peel and dice mango into 1 cm pieces, amounting to at least 2 cups. Then dice the sweet bell pepper approximately the same size. Finely chop the jalapeno pepper and the fresh cilantro as small as you can make them.
- With scissors finely slice the green onions. Zest one lime and then juice the remaining limes for a total of 3 tablespoons.
- Mix all ingredients in your bowl or container. Add any additional salt if needed. Refrigerate until serving.