Upside Down Nachos
What kid wouldn't want to make Nachos for dinner? In a group setting this recipe works well and you can bake at home. Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa and guacamole.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 sweet green pepper finely diced
- 1 sweet red pepper finely diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 can (14-19 oz) black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- Tortilla chips to sprinkle on top try baked or low sodium versions - organic from Costco are wonderful
- 2 cups lightly packed shredded cheddar cheese approx. 4 oz
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
Serve with shredded lettuce, avocado or guacamole, salsa and sour cream.
- In a large non-stick pan sauté beef over medium heat, breaking up with a spatula, until no longer pink – about 10 minutes. Drain off fat in a colander with running water and return to the pan.
- Add onions to the pan with the ground beef and sauté until onions are translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, peppers, cumin, chili powder, oregano, red pepper flakes if using, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add black beans, tomatoes with juice and tomato paste and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in corn and heat through.
- Spread into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. You can spread 3/4 in the pan and keep 1/4 aside in a container for a taco salad the next day. Meat mixture should be refrigerated until ready to serve. For take home you will need chips, cheese and green onions.
- Just before dinner sprinkle with enough chips to cover the meat mixture. Then sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-25 minutes until mixture is hot and cheese is melted.
- Serve with a spatula onto plates. Sprinkle with green onions and add toppings if desired. Optional toppings: Shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa and guacamole.