Perfectly Pillowy Cinnamon Rolls
The Perfectly Pillowy Cinnamon Rolls recipe is adapted from King Arthur Baking and is a favourite at our house. It is best to use a mixer with the dough hook and you need time to let the rise 2 times for 60-90 min each and then about 30 minutes so plan accordingly.
- Stand Up Mixer with dough hook
- ½ cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp unbleached bread flour
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 2 ½ cups unbleached bread flour (300 grams)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt – or use salted butter
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk, cream or buttermilk
- To make the tangzhong: combine both ingredients in. small saucepan, and whisk until no lumps remain.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook the mixture, stirring regularly, until thickened, paste-like and the spoon lines the bottom of the pan. This should take 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl of a stand mixer.
- To make the dough: Add milk to the bowl of your mixer. Weigh your flour or lightly spoon into measuring cups and add on top of the milk. Next add salt, sugar, yeast and softened butter.
- Mix on low speed with the dough hook until dough comes together. Turn to medium low and mix for another 10-12 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Shape the dough in a ball and cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel and place in a warm location to rise until puffy 60-90 minutes.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl stir together melted butter and other ingredients.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased work surface and press into a rectangle 10×12 inches about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with filling and roll so the length is still 12 inches long. Cut into 8-10 rolls and place on parchment paper spaced at least 2 inches apart.
- Lightly cover dough with greased plastic wrap and let rise another 30 minutes.
- Position rack in the top 1/3 of the oven and preheat to 375°
- Bake for 14-18 minus until light golden brown. Let rolls cool while you prepare the icing.
- Mix together icing ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Add extra liquid if needed. Enjoy immediately or store on the counter for a day or 2.