Meatball Quinoa Soup
For the Meatball Quinoa Soup Recipe you can use my recipe your own meatball recipe or just shape some ground beef into small balls for my take on an Italian Wedding Soup.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carton vegetable, beef or chicken broth (946 ml)
- 1 cup passata or strained tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can of navy beans
- 1 small bunch of kale, chard, spinach or beet greens
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon feshly ground black pepper
- grated parmesan cheese for garnish
Mini Meatballs from recipe above or your own
- Heat your dutch oven on medium heat, add oil and then onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Stir constantly and cook for approximately 7 minutes until vegetables have started to soften but not brown.
- Add bay leaf, broth and strained tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add your mini meatballs and continue to simmer for 20 minutes until cooked through.
- While soup is simmering prepare your greens by removing tough stems and spines, and finely chopping leaves - the smaller the better for my kids.
- Add beans, greens and quinoa and simmer 15 minutes until greens and quinoa is tender.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- This soup is more flavourful made ahead of time. Refrigerate and reheat before dinner.
- Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve.