Easier than Lasagna this hearty soup is sure to fill your family up with some warm goodness. It is easy to vary your bowl by serving the pasta and cheese separately. Giving you a gluten free or dairy free option for dinner as well and no extra effort.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large Italian sausages (approximately 1 lb)
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 jar passata or strained tomatoes approximately 750 ml
- 1.4 litres chicken broth 6 cups or 1 1/2 cartons
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 package of pasta 500 grams
- 1/2 cup fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Finely chop your onion and and mince or finely chop garlic. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot or cast iron dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil to cover the bottom of your pot. Remove the castings from your sausage and begin to cook the meat breaking up with a spatula. Add diced onion and cook together until onions are soft approximately 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices to your pan and continue to cook another 1-2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the jar of tomatoes, chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In another pot cook your pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- In a small bowl stir together the ricotta, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- If preparing soup ahead of time stir in chopped spinach, cool and refrigerate until 15 minutes before dinner. If cooking just before dinner continue heating for 5 minutes.
- When soup is hot to each bowl add desired amount of pasta and ladle over with soup. Top with a dollup of the ricotta mixture, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and basil.
- Tip: For kids you may want to stir in the basil and ricotta mixture first then top with mozzarella cheese.