General Tso Chicken
I have a friend who loves this sauce so much she doubles it everytime.
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil divided
- 4 medium carrots
- 500 g snow peas sliced in half
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes very small amount
- In a small bowl or measuring cup prepare sauce whisking together sauce ingredients – water through crushed red pepper flakes. Pour into a large bowl.
- Prepare carrots by peeling and cutting in half lengthwise then thinly slice. Snow peas can also be cut in half and add both to the large bowl with sauce.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together 3 tablespoons corn starch with egg whites, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and toss to coat.
- In a large non-stick frying pan heat 2 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Using tongs lift chicken and shake off excess batter. Cook 1/2 chicken pieces until crisp and golden turning occasionally then set aside and cook the other batch of chicken in an additional tablespoon of oil – set aside all chicken.
- In the same pan sauté carrots, snow peas and sauce mixture. If preparing ahead of time turn off heat and bring chicken and vegetables home separately.
- At home preheat oven to 325 – convection if you have it. Prepare rice and put chicken on a baking tray to reheat in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While cooking the chicken heat vegetables on the stove then add chicken, stir to coat and serve immediately.