Chocolate Peppermint Truffle Cookies
Topped with Crushed Candy Canes these cookies are the perfect addition to your holiday plate. Instead of baking the crushed candy canes sprinkle them on top of the warm cookies so they melt only slightly and stick to the top of the cookie. The dough can be made a day before you bake the cookies.
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate 4 baker squares
- 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate (1/2 cup) chopped
- ¾ cup unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4-5 drops food grade peppermint oil or ½ tsp mint extract
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup crushed candy cane
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Melt unsweetened and semi sweet chocolate using a double boiler or microwave on med low heat.
- Stir in butter until melted.
- Whisk in sugar, then eggs one at a time and finally the peppermint.
- With a spatula stir chocolate mixture into the flour mixture.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips and refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
- When you are ready to bake pre-heat the oven to 350° and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using 2 tablespoons take a small amount of dough (approx. 1 T) and roll into a ball and place on prepared baking sheet. Space cookies out because they will spread.
- Bake for 10 minutes until they crackle on top. Sprinkle immediately with crushed candy cane and cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- For even baking only bake one sheet at a time in the centre of the oven.