Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Soup topped with crunchy fried tortilla strips and bursting with mexican flavours. Make it with a friend or go all out and add some Lime Tequila Cupcakes for dessert. Perfect for a Cinco de Mayo celebration. Serve at home with fresh cilantro, chopped avocado, shredded tex-mex cheese and green onions or chives.
- 4 bone in, skin on chicken breasts
- 1 carton chicken broth (946 ml) optional
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 large onion
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (750 ml) option - use one can with added onions and peppers
- 2 cans black beans (14-16 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn
- 2 large juicy limes 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1-2 cups canola oil for frying
- 3- 6 inch corn or flour tortillas
- avocado chopped
- monterey jack or tex-mex cheese grated
- green onions or chives finely sliced
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven place your chicken breasts and cover with water or combination of water and chicken broth. Add 10 large springs of fresh cilantro and 1 tablespoon of chili powder. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is simmering prepare your vegetables. Finely dice the onion, celery, garlic and jalapeño pepper.
- At this point remove and discard the cilantro sprigs. Add chopped onion, celery, garlic, jalapeño pepper and salt to your pot and simmer an additional 30 minutes uncovered.
- While your soup simmers heat 1 inch of canola oil in small pot for frying. Using clean kitchen shears cut the tortillas into small strips. Ensure your oil reaches 350 degrees using a candy thermometer and fry strips in batches of 10 at a time. Scrunch them with tongs for a few seconds to give them a wavy shape. Remove after lightly browned and transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. If desired sprinkle with a little salt while still hot.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board to cool. Add canned tomatoes, black beans and corn to your pot and continue to simmer.
- Remove and discard the skin and bones from the chicken. Shred chicken usine a fork and a knife and add back to your simmering soup. If making ahead of time turn off the soup and refrigerate until 20 minutes before dinner.
- Just before serving re-heat, add 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro and 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice. Taste and add any additional salt if needed. Top with grilled tortilla strips, diced avocado and shredded cheese.