Vegetable Chickpea Stew
Enjoy this meal full of vegetables and aromatic spices. This stew is a meat, gluten and dairy free meal (without topping) that can be made with any vegetables you have on hand. Serve on top of your favourite rice or quinoa.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small head of cauliflower cut into small florets
- 2 sweet bell peppers diced
- 1 zucchini halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper or (¼ crushed chili flakes) seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 28 oz can of pureed tomatoes
- 14-19 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cans chickpeas (14-19 oz each) rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup plain yogurt or sour cream optional topping
In a small bowl combine all spices.
In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat. Add chopped onions and cauliflower. Cook stirring often until lightly brown - 8-10 min. Transfer to a bowl or plate.
In the same skillet add the additional 1 tbsp of oil and sauté the peppers, zucchini and ginger for 2 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with cauliflower.
Reduce heat to low and stir in spices, then add cans of tomatoes, chickpeas and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Taste and add 1 tsp or salt to taste.
Return vegetables to the skillet and cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro. Cover until ready to eat.
Serve on top of rice or quinoa and top with a dollop of yogurt of sour cream.