Make your own taco seasoning with this recipe and cut down the salt and other preservatives. This is a great task for kids. One recipe makes a double batch of the seasonings which can be stored in the cabinet for Beef and Bean Tacos another day. This is a great gluten free option to for company in the summer.
Taco Seasoning Mix - use 4 tsp for this recipe
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 can (14-19 oz) pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup passata or crushed tomatoes substitute 2 T tomato paste and 1/2 cup of water
- 1 head of romaine lettuce washed and chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (approximately 4 oz)
Other optional toppings: tortilla chips, avocado, tomatoes, salsa and sour cream
In a large sauce pan sauté the beef over medium heat, breaking up with a spatula until no longer pink - approximately 5-7 minutes. Drain off fat in a colander with running water and set aside.
While beef is cooking you can finely chop the onion. Then finely chop the peppers.
In the same pan sauté the onions until they are soft, approximately 5 minutes. Add the chopped green and red peppers and cook another 3 minutes.
Return the meat to the pan along with 4 teaspoons of the taco seasoning mix, rinsed beans and 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
Option: set up a make your own salad by adding lettuce to each plate, guests can top with chips, meat mixture, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream and sliced avocados.