Lentil Barley Soup
As the weather gets colder keep this recipe on hand for those nights no one wants to go out. You can easily have the ingredients on hand for this recipe. Lentil Barley Soup is better made ahead of time so flavours can meld together. Serve it along side a crusty loaf and you have the perfect, no need to go shopping, meal. Or instead make it gluten free by replacing the barley with quinoa.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 carton vegetable broth (approximately 950 ml)
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked pot barley
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- grated parmesan cheese for serving
In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat, add onions, garlic, carrot, celery, thyme, salt and pepper and sauté until onions are softened - approximately 10 minutes.
Add 1 1/2 cups water, broth, lentils and barley. Cover and simmer about 40 minutes until barley and lentils are tender - do not over cook.
Add diced tomatoes and fresh parsley. Turn off heat and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Reheat and add any salt to taste.
Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.