Coconut Braised Chicken with Chorizo and Potatoes
This recipe combines many ingredients from South American. Tropical flavours of lime and coconut are paired with the heat of Chorizo Sausage and it is all cooked in one pot. This recipe has been adapted from an article in Food & Wine Magazine. The changes make the meal a familiy friendly version. I like to serve it along side broccoli or green beans.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil (or canola oil)
- 4 chicken breasts or whole chicken legs any option you like skin on or off, bone in or out
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large fresh chorizo sausage approximately 200 grams
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger (1 inch piece)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 600 ml unsweetened coconut milk 1 1/2 cans (400 ml)
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes small left whole or large cut in quarters
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice approximately 2 limes + zest for garnish
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley if you prefer
- Optional: lime wedges for serving
Slice the onion and clean potatoes, trim if needed, no need to peel unless desired. Cut large potatoes into quarters. Zest 2 limes and set aside as a garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Heat a large enameled cast-iron pot or brasier over medium high heat. Add oil and season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken turning after about 5 minutes. Tranfer chicken to a large plate.
Remove castings from the sausage and add to the pot with onions to cook. Break up the meat as you stir and cook for appromately 5 minutes. Turn down the heat if needed. Stir in ginger and garlic and cook another minute.
Add coconut milk, potatoes and chicken to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and braise in the oven for 1 hour until the chicken is cooked through.
Stir in lime juice, butter and add any salt to taste. Serve in bowls topped with the lime zest/cilantro mixture along side a green vegetable.