Another low carb dinner option to enjoy this summer. Your family will love putting together their own salad.
Taco Salad Make your own taco seasoning with this recipe and cut down the salt and other preservatives. This is a great task for kids. One recipe makes a double batch of the seasonings which can be stored in the cabinet for Beef and Bean Tacos another day.
Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1teaspoon paprika
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1medium onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1can (14-19 oz) pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2cup passata or crushed tomatoessubstitute 2 T tomato paste and 1/2 cup of water
- 1small head of romaine lettucewashed and chopped
- 2cups shredded cheddar cheese(approximately 4 oz)
- In a large sauce pan sauté the beef over medium heat, breaking up with a spatula until no longer pink - approximately 5-7 minutes. Drain off fat in a colander with running water and set aside.
- While beef is cooking you can finely chop the onion. Then finely chop the peppers.
- In the same pan sauté the onions until they are soft, approximately 5 minutes. Add the chopped green and red peppers and cook another 3 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan along with 4 teaspoons of the taco seasoning mix, rinsed beans and 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
- Option: set up a make your own salad by adding lettuce to each plate, guests can top with chips, meat mixture, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream and sliced avocados.